Scalability problems: Hidden challenges of growing a system
- Two main challenges of scaling distributed systems: centralization and synchronization.
- When one node has too much control, the main source’s capacity/capability limits the entire system in terms of resources it can handle or users it can serve.
- When scaling up, the system can run into computational limitations, storage limitations, and network limitations.
- Synchronous communication over a WAN is not only slower, but also less reliable compared to a LAN.
- Synchronous communication across larger geographies can be an obstacle to scaling.
Full post here, 8 mins read