- Allow people to focus on strategic decision making by removing the burden of tactical decisions.
- Ask your pipelines to make most of the tactical day-to-day decisions about code - its functionality, quality, security, compliance - as well as environments, operations, and deployment.
- Decisions pipelines make are faster and more reliable for repetitive judgments.
- People should teach the pipelines how to make decisions automatically, by building in automated steps, scripts or quality gates.
- Ensure that a judgment result from a pipeline is always a pass or a fail, never ‘inconclusive’, and it is acted upon.
- To succeed at building a truly pipeline-driven organization, where pipelines run continuously all the way up to production, we need to develop pipeline-oriented dev, ops, testing and security skills among the team.
Full post here, 11 mins read