- Blue-green deployment is a technique that reduces downtime for your application by running two identical production environments called Blue & Green.
- At any time, one of the environments is live and one is idle. The live environment serves all production traffic. And your team deploys and tests in the idle environment. Once the new build runs fine, you switch the router to swap the live & idle environments.
- Adopting this approach in case of microservices, tosses out the need for microservices to be independently deployable.
- All microservices in a release need to be mutually compatible because the entire application is released in one go in the new environment.
- “..this creates a distributed monolith whose pace of evolution is limited by the slowest-developing microservice.”
Full post here, 4 mins read